I love joking that I’d make the awesomest grandmother ever. Not mother. Just skip to the part when I can sit around retired and crafting for my progeny.
I finished using a majority of my scrap yarn making granny squares. It took me over a year to make 25 squares.
There is actually a methodical rule to how I laid these out to optimize the blanket’s visual cohesiveness. Each granny square is bordered by others that share at least one common color. Laying these out was quite a challenge, but I somehow was able to make it happen.
Because I had made these granny squares at different times, I kind of messed up by misplacing the hook I was using during a break and began again using a different size. Thus my granny squares are different sizes. I combined these two techniques to start joining together my squares:
This is my personal Facebook cover photo :D Maybe I should make it my blog banner too?
After I joined 5 squares into a row, I joined the 5 rows together.
Weaving in the ends is going to be a pain.
I’m currently working on crocheting a border to frame the colorful center.
I’m also using a larger hook to do the joining because I thought it would make a larger blanket, which it does, but also causes curling. Yeah, newb crocheter status. Hopefully I can block that curling out, which will also be a challenge because the majority of this blanket is acrylic.
I’m just going to keep going around the border until I run out of this one pound skein I bought to bring this scrap project together. It may look like I have an actual plan to this project but I honestly just started making granny squares and then from there just took it one spontaneous step at a time. We’ll see where this project takes me.